Monday, June 13, 2005

No Rails?

I am trying to imagine the country without any transcontinental rail service which is probably a no-brainer for most people. I have, however, enjoyed too many rail journeys to think that, after my upcoming major trip, there might never be another. It is a possibility, given the present administration's view of what a railroad should be. As far as they're concerned we might just as well think of crossing the country by horse and wagon, I guess, since the airlines are all heading for bankruptcy and no one's doing much about that situation, either.

I'm not without some compunctions about the June-July trip. We had so many delays and interruptions last year that it's not impossible to have even more this year, especially on the way to Portland. Departing from Columbia at nigh on to midnight it's conceivable the Silver Star could be late--so on our way by one or two in the morning? Which, of course, means a late arrival in Orlando--or will they take us off at Sanford or Jacksonville for our next leg on the Sunset Ltd? Probably the run into New Orleans will be on time (it's the NO to LA that is so often late) and our departure for Chicago will be on time as that's the origination point for the City of New Orleans. Will it arrive in Chicago on time? We have nearly four hours before our departure on the California Zephyr but I don't know if there's much to do with that amount of time. I think most of Chicago's sights are pretty far from Union Station. Then it's on to Emeryville and five hours (if we're on time) there before we take the Coast Starlight to Portland. Maybe enough time to get into San Francisco for dinner?

I'm glad we arrive in Portland late in the afternoon: time to clean up, change and find a good dinner, not that that's a problem. I feel quite confident about restaurants in that city!

Given the hours of departure and return of the excursions we've signed up for I am dubious about how eager I'll be to go dining out every night. With Laura joining us I'd hate to be a wet blanket about going out for dinner. By the end of the week we'll all be ready to slow down. As she goes on to her Forest Service program in Idaho we head back to Chicago on the Empire Builder, then New York on the Lake Shore Ltd. An overnight in New York (no more as July is not my favorite time of year in the city) and return to Columbia the next morning, arriving in Cola at 11:55, home by one or so.

I don't know how much enthusiasm I'll have for any other trips this year!!

No comments: