Sunday, May 29, 2005

It don't get no respect!

Try as one might there just isn't any counter-attack to Sec'y Mineta's (and the administration's) fulminations about Amtrak. Talk about a bully pulpit. He's all over the country, meeting with this group and that--but no one else comes along with any rebuttals about what he and/or the White House really wants. Determined to dispose of Amtrak or any other nationwide passenger rail system they continue to paint Amtrak as a money losing corporation. I'd love to know how many rail passengers they have spoken to, other than commuters. I guess I've got a preconceived notion that traveling by rail can be a relaxing way to travel, certainly nowadays where airline travel is no longer what it used to be. Americans have become so overwhelmed by the notion that they should get to where they're going as quickly as possible--therefore fly--or by having complete control over how and when you get there--therefore drive yourself--that they've forgotten, if they ever knew, how great a train ride can be.

I'm about to take my fourth major trip with Amtrak and I'm looking forward to it as much as I used to anticipate a flight to anywhere.

No comments: